Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Don't Underestimate




I was so proud of my students completing a mini-tech project with no hands-on lab time at all.
The project - to create a Voki - was quite simple but there were a number of steps involved.

1.  Find a favorite quote from the book we were reading.  (We were reading Funny in Farsi by Firoozeh Dumas).
2.  Set up a free Voki account.
3.  Create their Voki - recording their voice or using the text-to-voice feature to say the quote and why they liked it.
4.  Copy and paste their Voki link into our class Moodle forum.
5.  Listen to and comment on at least 3 other students' Vokis.

To support the students in completing the project as homework, I:

1.  Demonstrated one time in the class with a computer projector.
2.  Provided Jing slideshows of how to do each part of the project. 
3.  Did a quick Q & A in subsequent questions to troubleshoot.

That's it!  I estimate I spent only about 20 minutes of class time total dealing with the tech-aspect of the project.  We did spend lots of time, however, while reading and book discussions talking about their favorite quotes and moments in the book.  That's what I really wanted them to focus on, but in a more interesting way.  (I was hoping to be both neat and deep - avoiding the trap of Neat, but not Deep).

Within a week every one of my students had completed the project!  Here are a couple student examples here:

Amy
Leon
Vivian

 My lesson learned:  Don't underestimate what students can do on their own!




No comments:

Post a Comment