Saturday, November 5, 2011

Are Cell Phones the Enemy?


Over the past few weeks it seems like nearly every other teacher I've talked to on campus has mentioned problems with students using cell phones in class.  Complaints have ranged from secret texting in class, cheating (of course!), ringing, and just general distractions.

I get this, and so do many others fed up with tech-overload.  Two recent articles highlight this:
Are Schools Getting Too Carried Away With Technology
A Silicon Valley School That Doesn't Compute

Increase of cell phone usage is no surprise, just read articles such as these in the news:
How do college students actually use cell phones?
Teachers use cell phones in the classroom.


I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority in not having a strict NO cell phone use in my class, but that doesn't mean that I don't have a usage policy.  The cell phone policy in my class in simple:  When you are not taking a test or some other assessment, only use your cell phone for educational purposes.  I don't have problems with students answering their phone and leaving the room to chat, texting under the desk, or downloading essays to copy.  I do have students that comment on our class blog, use a dictionary app, search for more info on a topic, add a deadline to their calendar, review my latest tweet, and check a score on our Moodle site.


This is what I have been reading about cell phone use in the classroom.  If you want to drink the Kool-Aid, read on:
Today's Mobile Devices are Tomorrow's Textbooks.
10 Strategies to Break the Ban and Build Opportunities for Student Learning with Cell Phones.
10 Reasons Cell Phones Should Be Allowed In Schools
Making the Case for Cell Phones in Schools
It's in Your Pocket: Teaching Spectacularly with Cellphones


Some schools embrace rather than restrict cell phones.  Here's one Elementary School Embracing Mobile Learning Technology


And for a full list of many, many more links visit Cybrary Man's Mobile Learning Page and this LiveBinder full of resources.

No comments:

Post a Comment