Tuesday, February 28, 2012

When I'm Not A Teacher



It seems like teaching is always a part of my life.  Everything I do, I think, "Oh, this is great for my students!"  This is the reason why Adele's song Someone Like You became a way to review verb tenses and why I once showed a clip of Jennifer Lopez's movie Maid in Manhattan to expand a book unit discussion. But what do I do when I am not teaching?  One thing I do is procrastinate relax by stalking reading the following blogs:

At least once I week I check these blogs:

Design Mom. I'd never be this fashionable personally or at home, but I sometimes catch cool videos like this one about the Joy of Books that I end up sharing with my students.

I Heart Organizing.  I just started reading this one, and in addition to helping me organize my family's stack of paperwork, it also inspired me to streamline my work files.

The Pioneer Woman.  I'm an urban girl, but somehow intrigued by the ranch life on this blog, and I've come across ideas from her homeschool section including Journaling 2.0.  I've shared the Mean Ol' Schoolmarm feature with my class as well.

Stats Dad.  My boys play basketball and baseball, so I'm fascinated by this blog about youth sports.  And I also read some great advice about starting up a blog.

Time Management Ninja.  There's almost no better way to spend time than to read about how to manage it.  I've recently read some interesting takes on work email destruction and bad meeting behavior.

Zen Habits.  This blog gives me good advice about balanced living which helps me (sometimes) to put aside all the papers and lesson planning.

The Happiness Project.  I love her quotes and interviews.  And I still watch this video The Years Are Short often.

Seth Godin's Blog.  I lied about once a week with this blog,  I read it nearly every day, absorbing every word.

Cool Mom Tech.  This blog keeps me hip with everything from the latest apps to keyboards.

Lesson Learned:  I'm not always in teacher-mode, but even when I'm browsing blogs for pleasure I seem to find things that impact my teaching anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment