Sunday, February 12, 2012

Pens in Hand



Like any teacher, I spend a lot of time grading papers, giving feedback, recording scores, and making notes to myself.  In other words, I spend a lot of time with a pen in hand.  I haven't used a red pen in years - since I learned in grad school that red all over a student's paper makes them feel like their essay is bleeding.  I recently also read this article about the terror of the red pen.  I used to just grab whatever pen was handy, buying jumbo packs that were on sale.

Lately, though I've discovered that when I write with a pen I like, I'm just happier and more productive.  Since I'm one of those people that loves to browse the office supplies aisles, I'm always on the lookout and I think my next buy will be one of these 7-year pens.   The bucket above holds my current stash of colorful pens I've been using this semester.  They are actually two different kinds that I use for different purposes.


I got this pack of 24 different color pens on sale at Office Max.  I like that you click it to use so that I don't have to worry about losing the cap.  (How many Bic pens without caps do I have in my work desk drawer?!).  I like that it's a pretty fine point that doesn't bleed through, but is bright enough to see easily.  I love all the colors.  I've been using the purple, turquoise, and lime green the most.  I use it for grading and commenting on papers.  I use them also to make notes in my planner and for the lists I write all day long.


I got this set of five fine felt-tipped markers at Target. I love the color and the felt tips.  It bleeds a bit through regular notebook paper though, so I don't usually use it for writing on student papers.  Lately I've been using it for making notes on my family and work calendars and for writing labels and titles on file folders and binders.

Lesson Learned:  I spend a lot of time with a pen in hand, and it just makes sense that it is one that I enjoy writing with!

No comments:

Post a Comment