Thursday, September 8, 2011

Ingenious or Inappropriate?

Two moments over the past few days caused me to stop and think about the role of technology in our lives.  One: the magical moment of a wedding.  The other: a mundane task in my classroom.


This past weekend I attended a wedding and as the officiant walked down the aisle I noticed he was holding an iPad.  When he got to the front and turned, as the bride walked down to join her groom, he turned it on.  The officiant spoke touching, humorous, and heartfelt words.  The couple's vows were beautiful.  But I couldn't take my eyes off the iPad that was being used.  Ingenious . . . or inappropriate?


Two days ago in class, as I wrote the agenda and homework notes on the board students studiously took pen and paper notes, added it into their cell phones' calendar, or typed notes onto their laptops.  Then there was the student who simply held up his cell phone and snapped a photo.  Efficient . . . or kind of lazy?


What do you think?  Are there still places and ways where technology use surprises you?

No comments:

Post a Comment