Sunday, August 21, 2011

Moodling Around

At City College of SF we use Insight (Moodle).  No one in my class this semester had heard of it so I had to do an introduction.  I don't teach an online or blended learning class right now, instead I have a traditional face-to-face class that I enhance with Insight as our class website.  Here's what I'm doing:


1.  Paper Handouts.
Yes I give them paper to figure out how to get on something paperless.  I find it helps.  The handout is a basic one that takes them through the login directions.  It doesn't have a lot of words - instead there are screenshots and places for my ESL students to write notes to themselves in their language (if necessary).


2.  Showcase and BYOD (with lab follow-up)
Insight Intro day is also a BYOD (bring your own device) day.  I show students on the computer projector how to login and some basic stuff about the site.  They can follow along on the handout as well as try it out on a personal device if they brought one that day.  Generally, I follow up with a lab day the next class to trouble-shoot if necessary.

3.  Scavenger Hunt
I want the students to explore the site on their own, have fun doing it, and realize it's more than a place that just houses the worksheets they missed when they were absent.  So I give them a Scavenger Hunt to find out info about me and the class.  I also "hide" one photo which they have to find.

4.  A Personal Touch
The first assignment I have them do is to update their personal profile with a picture (of them, or something that symbolizes them) and a mini-bio.  This is important!  They personalize their page and at the same time get to learn about their classmates.  Guess how much more communicative they are with each other the next face-to-face class!

5.  Short and Sweet.
I introduce students to the Discussion Forum.  We will do longer writing later, but for now I have them do a Six-Word Memoir.  It's short and sweet, everyone learns something, and they figure out how to post and share on a forum without the burden of a ton of writing. Sometimes less really is more.  By the way, here are my six words:  "Once a teacher, always a teacher."

That's it!  I'd love to hear what you do to introduce your class website to your students.

No comments:

Post a Comment